In article
<out-5137dc2c.md-1.4.17.chris.yo...@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk>,
   Chris Young <chris.yo...@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk> wrote:

[snipped]

> A better fix might be for the end of the URL to be given priority (aka
> right-justify), or some shortening technique where the domain and the
> end of the URL are shown, but the middle is truncated with ellipsis if
> it is above a certain length.

Or, scroll the URL from one end to the other. And back.

But I want to see the whole thing at the pointer. A tooltip which pops up
when you hover over a link for more than a couple of moments would cut
down on eyestrain. i.e. It would avoid having to flick one's eyes to the
very bottom left of the (wide)screen to read the link one is pointing at
top right.

By all means have a status bar which tells you what a window is doing but
using that same 'status' to display something _I_ am doing seems wrong
somehow. I'm only hovering over a link: the browser isn't really doing
anything very much!

MIE9 uses a tooltip type display but still it pops up in the bottom
left-hand corner of the window. Why not at the pointer? That's where my
eyes are pointing. NetSurf could steal a march.  ;-)

--
Tim Hill
                                                www.timil.com