On 19 Dec 2014  Jeremy Nicoll - ml netsurf
<jn.ml.nso...@wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Peter Young <pnyo...@ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>>Good point. Using http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/gl52 1 minute 20
>>seconds with RISC OS NetSurf, already on the icon bar; with Chrome in
>>Windows, again already running, less than 2 seconds. Is this worth a
>>bug report?

> It might be more interesting to compare the times for a subsequent fetch.
> The first one you did, form whatever OS, will have involved a lot of DNS
> lookups, whihc - apart from being managed by RO (or Netsuf itself?) and
> maybe cached there, may have been cached by your router.

> If the latter happened, that's one reason why the second fetch might have
> been a lot faster.

I've just done two fetches of the BBC weather site with RISC OS
NetSurf. They were both slow, but the second one was a bit less slow.

> I dunno about Chrome's facilities, but if you have Firefox, it has a set of
> developer's tools, one of which allows you to see all the things it does to
> fetch a page (eg fetch the base html, fetch the files that refers to, fetch
> the files the subsidiary ones referred to etc) and it will display the times
> taken for different stages of the overall process, showing you which bits
> took all the time.

Understanding that would be beyond my capabilities. O imagine some
relevant information would also be in NetSurf's logfile, but I
wouldn't understand that either. The thing that's puzzling me is that
this slowness has only happened recently, and doesn't affect other
websites.

Best wishes,

Peter Young.

--