In message <55480e2bfeli...@torrens.org.uk>
          "Richard Torrens (lists)" <li...@torrens.org.uk> wrote:

>NS has choices:
>Hide advertisements
>Disable pop-up windows
>Disable JavaScript
>
>These, I would guess, tell it to ignore such content. It is then filtering
>exactly as you seem to want!

These are desirable but not general enough for my purposes.

>So I guess you are asking for a throwback icon, to throw the source out to
>an external editor, where it can be processed and returned back to NS?

Exactly.

I seem to remember using a browser on an Acorn machine, many years ago, that
gave you the option of not displaying images unless you specifically clicked
on the icon that the browser used to indicate a missing image.

I would also like to be able to discriminate content by source URL and to give
permissions
for which should be blocked or which allowed through. But I suspect that this
requires
filtering at the packet level. My feeling is that the majority of the public
have little idea about what is going on when they use the internet, as opposed
to the businesses which would like to exploit their ignorance. Web savvy
programmers
produce the websites and also the browsers. I would like to see users take
back, or
be given back (by appropriate tools) more control over this predator/prey
scenario.
It is a question of freedom.

--
Gavin Wraith (ga...@wra1th.plus.com)