In article <569104a7acbrian.jord...@btinternet.com>, Brian Jordan
<brian.jord...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> In article <5690f953cd...@timil.com>, Tim Hill <t...@timil.com> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > It's great example of a page which uses Javascript to no advantage
> > but even if hover-and-drop menus are implemented with only CSS they
> > don't work in NetSurf either.  :-(

> Yeah. I spent ages some time back trying to get to the bottom of why I
> couldn't get some hover-and-drop CSS code to work. The reason was that
> I was using RISC OS to develop sites, mainly because of StrongED and
> the command line access to HTML Tidy, but then I was testing the code
> on Netsurf. I continue to use RISC OS to write web stuff but these days
> always test it in Chrome on the other side.

As do I, Brian. Though without HTMLtidy as these days most pages involve
being constructed with PHP. I still try to make things NetSurf usable but
it is falling behind wrt what can be achieved on even the cheapest phone
or tablet. Corners, shadows, hover, to name but a few.

Thankfully, it's easy to have a NetSurf only CSS file which provides
alternatives to flex containers and suchlike but this often needs more
than HTML in order to read the browser string and take the appropriate
action.

--

Tim Hill

timil.com : tjrh.eu : butterwick.eu : blue-bike.uk : youngtheatre.co.uk