Thanks for such a swift reply, Michael.  Will digest and report back.

You said:
> The min-content value for width is just at editors draft stage.
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing-3/
> So it's subject to change, and not standardized yet.

In the final para of my post, I didn't quote all the code I found in
that Stackoverflow suggestion about   width:min-content   (which was
dated 2015). The writer included interim lines addressed to specific
browsers while the aforementioned editors' deliberations continue.  He
suggested:
     figure {
       width: -webkit-min-content;
       width: -moz-min-content;
       width: min-content;
     }
That seems to mean Mozilla and Webkit.  Is there perhaps an equivalent
for Netsurf?

--
Jim Nagel                             www.archivemag.co.uk