that experience inside them and turn it into something they can look at
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An example. A fifteen-year-old boy goes to a party, tries to kiss a girl,
is slapped in the face and retires humiliated from the party. What happens
next? If he is of the unreflective persuasion, he may decide to go off sex
for life. But most adolescents will ask themselves and their friends, What
went wrong? Was it me? Was it her? How could i do it differently? Out of
this questioning they may get a generalisation or two which they can put to
the test on some future occasion. Rationality works better backwards than
forwards, as a way of making sense of the past (experience), rather than of
predicting the future (means-end calculation). Rationalisation or reasoning
about our experience is indispensible to living with a modicum of
coherence. Everyone does it. People we think of as intellectuals do it more
than most.

This is why I would agree with Michael that educational opportunities
should be open as widely as possible to enable young people to develop this
faculty. The USA is the only country in the world where higher education of
a highly variable sort is universally available. Whatever we thin of the
country's present government, it has a lot to do with the fact that America
is the world's most advanced experiment in democracy. To call such a
society anti-intellectual is perverse.

Keith Hart

#  more info: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and "info nettime-l" in the msg body
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]