Am Samstag, 11. Juni 2005 um 08:28:37 Uhr (-0700) schrieb ed phillips:
> Google and Amazon represent services as you said, and unless they
> redistribute their software, there is no conflict with the GPL.

Exactly that is likely to change with GPL v3, at least as an optional term of
the
license. <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1758753,00.asp> quotes Richard
Stalmman on rewriting the GPL as follows:

"The issue of Web services has to be considered, he said. Some in the community
are
calling for a strong 'copyleft' license with code that is used and changed to be
returned to all. Others want the opposite.  I do not believe that we will be
reach
consensus on this front, so I believe the license will have to accommodate
options
as to the question of Web services, but this must be squared with the
ideological
pursuit of freedom," he said.

See also:
<http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2002/3/20/154118/890>,