I blogged about something similar about a year ago, Are we too poor for
communism: http://douweosinga.com/blog/0407/2004Jul13_1. I now work for
Google, which arguably is both a big company and a dotcom survivor and it is
a case in point. Especially if you travel in between engineering offices -
you visit the New York office and your badge is your passport - it gets you
an appartment, free food and instant friends. At the same time, there is of
course a huge difference in wealth between Googlers, depending on their
stock option situation. But I think that the bottom line is that for a lot
of engineer type of persons, a lot of material things are just pesky details
that are not worth it to spend time on, so a situation where the company
arranges for these things just makes sense.

Douwe

On 7/2/05, David Mandl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is a fascinating subject. A few comments, if this thread isn't
> cold yet:
>
> The days of the paternalistic corporation are over in the U.S., but a
> handful of companies still provide a pretty warm cocoon for their
> employees. These tend to be some of the bigger and more elite
> financial companies, and so the beneficiaries tend to be pretty
> privileged workers, but it's still surprising what goes on at some of
> these places. (The top executives at nearly every company live in a
> virtual parallel universe that few people outside of their circle even
> know anything about, and those people are getting more and more lavish
> perks all the time, but that's another story.)
 <...>

#  more info: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and "info nettime-l" in the msg body