Full article with illustration and links can be found at:

http://limpingmessenger.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/centennial-of-aerial-bombing_primordial_air-power/

> ‎11 November 2011 ~ 11 November 1911, today is the centennial of one hundred
> years of aerial bombing, the first example being the bombing of Turkish
> troops by Italian airplanes during the Italo-Turkish War in Libya in 1911.
> Some grenades hand held, dropped onto troops below. Aerial bombing is in fact
> incorrect as the launching of airborne missiles date back much further in
> time. Balloons have for instance been used by the Austrians when they
> beleaguered Venice in 1849 using unmanned balloons filled with explosives
> that could be triggered by electro-contacts using long wires (the idea of
> drones which are used in a more advanced way nowadays is born here). So today
> it is the centenary of airborne attacks by humans launching explosives from
> flying contraptions. The idea of airborne attack goes back into mythical
> times, though.

[…]

> We are one century from the moment that a grenade was dropped by hand from an
> Italian airplane circling over an oasis in the Libyan desert onto the heads
> of a few Ottoman soldiers. The Italian colonization of Libya that followed
> the break down of the Ottoman empire – at that time – created the
> circumstances that lead one century later to renewed usage of air force. We
> may have progressed in technical sense a lot, but politically speaking we
> have not yet freed ourselves of crude imposture of imperial power.

written on the aerial bombardment centennial day in Phnom Penh

Tjebbe van Tijen

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org