Hello,
Yes, there is a crisis, that shouldn’t be a big surprise but what precisely is
the crisis? A number of contemporary philosophers have been wading into this
question for some time now; is it the crisis that marks a break with modernity?
Quite possibly. Is it simply the economic crisis of 2008? No. After floating
through years of fuelled by the illusions of the post-modern delirium we’re
finding that it is not easy to get very far if you’re running on empty and the
consequence finding ourselves stuck in something akin to an ideological vacuum.

In fact what is being called the ‘crisis’ is probably the result of the
conflation of a host of historical factors: political, economic, etc… So, to
view the crisis in the absence of any substantial historical context is simply
misleading. It is as if we can view the recent events in Paris detached from
the legacy of French colonialism and the post-colonial turbulence that has
continued to batter Algeria. We live in a global world still very much being
buffeted by the decades of colonial and imperial hubris that has plundered the
third world in any number of political guises. The horrendous blow-back from
this is used to buttress the surveillance states now common in the West: high
tech snooping tools, random police operations which provide citizens with a
fragile, fleeting sense of security that is regularly shattered by unexpected
violence and killings. Countless innocents are slaughtered without warning;
police forces run amok…

It is yet to be seen whether the political movements in Spain or Greece can
move their societies in a new direction beyond the neoliberal economic pincers
- I certainly hope they can - but the fact that these movements exist is a
testament to some tangible threads of historical continuity and a capacity to
create new forms of political organisation. The fact is that in the belly of
the beast the banks escaped like bandits with a free ticket to manage the next
financial crisis while effortlessly plundering the U.S. treasury and there were
no political entity/s or coalition of forces that could deter the neoliberal
juggernaut. Were the banks and their bosses ever held accountable? A sad
reflection on the manner in which the neoliberal mind-set has distorted not
only the political consciousness of the citizenry but trashed the most basic
forms of common sense.

I’m not being cynical, really, just realistic; we cannot demand the impossible
but we can manage to to insure that the next generation has the tools and the
wisdom, to go beyond the ineptness, the corruption, and the greed the has
polluted so many hard won democratic institutions and whittled away the
parameters of a just society. Unless all the solid, meaningful efforts (in any
number of disciplines, economic programmes or alternative and innovative
practices) can coalesce into a political force able to out-manouver the status
quo of the current political landscape we’re in for more stormy weather.

allan

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org