wow. that story reminds me of the auction of Damian Hirst's For the Love of
God in 2007 (the diamond skull).
it sold for something staggering like $100 million to a private collector,
but the collector was later revealed to be an investment
consortium consisting of Hirst, his dealer Jay Joplin and a third unnamed
party.

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 6:23 PM Felix Stalder <fe...@openflows.com> wrote:

> On 14.03.21 14:25, Rachel O' Dwyer wrote:
> > The article includes a discussion of economic *'signalling' *that was
> > prompted by conversations with Ruth Catlow which chimes with Felix's
> > questions about what the digital art purchase 'says'.
>

> Doma alerted me to this analysis, and if it's correct, then this is
> basically a "pump-and-dump" scheme.
>

> https://amycastor.com/2021/03/14/metakovan-the-mystery-beeple-art-buyer-and-his-nft-defi-scheme
>
> I suspect there is more to it, more layers of scamminess, but so far the
> story goes like this:
>
> The buyer, MetaKovan, and the seller,  Metapurse, are entities
> controlled by the same person, Vignesh Sundaresan.
>
> Metapurse is a fund which owns digital art works. It's mission is to
> "democratize access and ownership to artwork." Quite a statement to make
> in relation to digital art, but the entire story is full of scammy
> rhetoric.
>
> You can buy into this fund, called B20, then you own a tiny portion of
> its art works. You do this by buying special B.20 tokens. The value of
> these tokens reflects some speculative position on the underlying value
> of the art works held by the funds or profits to be made from selling
> these works.
>
> There are 10 million tokens minted. 56% of these are owned by
> Metapurse/MetaKovan who thus controls the entire process in terms of
> writing to the blockchain. 2% are owned by Beeple himself (oh!). In
> December, Metapurse bought Beeple's art work for 2.2 million. On January
> 23, Metapurse sold 1.6 million tokens at $0.36 a pop.
>
> After the sale, which greatly inflated the value of the "assets" held by
> the fund, the value of the tokens rose to 23.00 and then fell back to
> 16.00. Given that buyer and seller are controlled by the same person,
> the actual costs for the purchase are only the feeds to be paid to
> Christie's, some 9 million.
>
> You can do he math yourself, but the profit margins are staggering, if
> Sundaresan manages to to get cash out his own tokens while it lasts.
>
> What I find remarkable is the role of Christie's in generating the
> narrative. Auction houses seem to have specialized in this lately,
> perhaps they always have. But, remember Sotheby's sold a Banksy work
> that shredded itself (Oct 2018). Well, almost shredded. The story went
> around the world, greatly enhancing the value of the work. It's hard to
> phantom that Sotheby's did not examine the art work before hence
> realized that there was something hidden in the frame. Or, when
> Christie's auctioned off the "Portrait of Edmond de Belamy" in December
> 2018. The value is really generated by the story, told by a blue-chip
> auction house.
>
> The fact that all of this is so scammy doesn't seem to matter, because
> it's the money that makes it real, the sheer scale is self-validating,
> even if the money itself is barely real to begin with.
>

> --
> [...]

http://www.rachelodwyer.com/

+353 (85) 7023779