Seth Howard wrote:

> First, I would rule out driver problems by attempting to connect to an
> open or WEP network with the network utility originally used in Ubuntu.
> Since you can connect to your home network, this seems unlikely to be a
> driver problem.

Yep. If it was working under Gnome it should surely be working under e16.

> You also mention ath0/wifi0 - do you have 2 wireless devices?

No, all wireless cards I have ever seen automatically create a wifi0
*and* a wlan0 device when you insert them (this is a PCMCIA card).
Before using Ubuntu, I'd never seen or heard of ath0. I'm unclear why
wifi cards need two devices, but they're always present any machine I've
seen.

> The commands "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" may give useful information too.
>
> It sounds like you are connecting to the networks (at least partially?)
> though - is that through network manager or another utility?
>
> Once in awhile my nm-applet does something similar, but it usually works
> after re-enabling networking.
>
> On a final note, have you tried re-installing network manager?  The
> wireless drivers?

It was a reboot which fixed it. Goddess knows why it needed that: a
restart of networking and NM should have been enough.

> Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance,

You were very helpful.

///Peter