Darren,

Thanks for the response and the advice.

This is for personal use and not any kind of distribution so I have no
problem with fwcutter and such, as long as all the necessary pieces are
freely available on line. I just don't like to use M$ drivers or
somebody's obscure bootleg driver from a website in the netherworld.

What I'm really looking for is a card that will give me the least
problems with NM even if it may not be the top rated for signal strength
etc. Within reason of course. I don't want constant disconnects.

I really have a need for the functionality that NM is intending to
provide and would like to get started with the current release on the
laptop. It's a gentoo box so I can configure whatever is necessary
fairly easily. I am expecting some problems with KDE though since NM is
so gnome-centric at the present time, especially on gentoo. As long as I
get a card that is familiar to the contributers to the NM mailing list,
with a little help I should be able to get through it.

Cheap is always good too.

Rod