Ive been using NetworkManager svn for a while and with the recent dispatcher
changes, there is a bit of a "feature loss":

Originally, I start nm AFTER my xsession starts, so that the dispatcher is
run in the same tty as X in order to run a Gtk application as part of a
dispatcher script (firestarter firewall for those interested).

Obviously, now that the dispatcher system is spawned under DBUS, one cannot
write scripts to start gui applications using dispatcher...or can they?

Well it so happens that you can if you allow TCP connections to X and do
something like "xhost +localhost" and set the DISPLAY environment variable,
you can run gui applications. But this is very inconvenient and I dont
really want any connections to my X anyway. Furthermore, applications dont
know anything about the environment to run in, and as such, firestarter will
always complain that it cannot run its scripts (error: "which: no iptables
in ((null))", probably because it cannot fork the shell).

SO THEN, can anyone think of some alternative method that allows the
starting of GUI's as part of the dispatcher's functionality without ugly
hacks such as above?