I found out about this list through the forum mentioned in the following
thread:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-September/msg00256.html

and appear to have the same problem. The person appealed to you guys and
seemed to get a fix: I looked through the messages, but was unable to deduce
what that fix was. I have the same problem (my internal Intel wireless card
doesn't work, so I think the computer automatically assumes that the
wireless switch is set to "off"). I'm using an external card, but cannot
enable wireless to use it.

Could you please help, as I've exhausted 3 forums and every google search
term I can think of!

Many regards,

Tom