On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM, derek starr<derekli...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Your email address showed up on my gmail.com webpage.  I hope you do not
> mind me using that email address.

I do not mind you e-mailing me directly, but please also include the
networkmanager-list in any response so that others may help out.
Also, please do not change the subject of the message.  Changing the
subject breaks threading on certain e-mail clients.

> I was having problems activating my 'wlan1' wireless card.  You said the
> following in your last email to me:
>
> "What is the manufacturer and model of your wireless networking card?
> When you try to activate 'wlan1', what does NetworkManager report in
> /var/log/messages?"
>
> For my wireless card on my DELL Inspiron E1505, I went to 'System ->
> Administration -> Add/Remove Software' and hopefully downloaded
> 'Firmware for Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG'

>From your response, I gather that you have an Intel 3945 wireless card,
>correct?

> This was my last message on the '/var/log/messages'.
> 'Jul 26 12:49:07 localhost yum: Installed:
> iwl3945-firmware-15.32.2.9-1.fc11.noarch'
>
> I used the following command after I tried to activate 'wlan1' with the
> NetworkManager a few minutes ago:
> tail /var/log/messages
> ( these were the last two entries )
> Aug 12 13:30:49 localhost system-config-network[2603]: rm
> //etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles//default/resolv.conf
> Aug 12 13:30:49 localhost system-config-network[2603]: ln //etc/resolv.conf
> //etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles//default/resolv.conf
>
> 'wlan1' did not get activated at all, according to the NetworkManager error
> message box, that popped up when I tried to use NetworkManager to activate
> 'wlan1' a few minutes ago.

To me, your entries from /var/log/messages are not particularly
insightful.  After you try to activate 'wlan1', what does `grep
NetworkManager messages' return?  (When posting the results to the
list, please remove any sensitive information, i.e. MAC addresses, ip
addresses, etc., by replacing such information with 'X's.)
Additionally, after you attempt to activate 'wlan1', what does `dmesg
| grep iwl3945' and `dmesg | grep wlan1` produce?  Finally, how are
you 'activating wlan1', i.e. what steps or actions are you taking to
'activate wlan1'?

Again, feel free to e-mail me directly, but always include the
networkmanager-list.  Many people more knowledgeable about the inner
workings of NetworkManager than I subscribe to that list.

Rod