On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Dan Williams <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 15:12 +0800, Bin Li wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   NetworkManager currently only supports one PolicyKit privilege. That
> > is whether a user is allowed to modify administrator defined
> > connections or not. There is no way to disallow users to define their
> > own network configurations.
>
> Right, we do want to do this.  I think it's more possible with NM 0.8
> and PolicyKit 1.0 where the actual authentication is simpler.  Having
> finer grained permissions was always the plan.
>
> To disallow activation of user connections, we'd want to add a PolicyKit
> permission for it, and then do the corresponding work in nm-manager.c's
> impl_activate_connection() handler.  We'd also want to make the Policy
> object ignore user connections when selecting which connections to
> connect to automatically, and also set a "permissions" bit in the system
> settings service to indicate that user connections weren't allows so the
> UI can update accordingly.

Dan,

 To disallow users to define their own network configuration, I add a new
permission, org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.user.modify, then link
to the add button, when the user have permission, he can add it, vice versa.
I've met a problem, the user's connection save in the gconf, and the user
can change the gconf with gconftool-2 without permission checking.
 So are there any method to resolve this problem? And is it okay to do like
this? Any idea?

 And I've a simple use-case that disallow workers on centrally administered
machines to configure different network settings.

Thanks!