On lun, 2013-10-14 at 12:20 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 18:39 +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> > Hello Dan and thank you for this answer,
> >
> > On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 09:41 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > This problem is most definitely a supplicant issue.  The supplicant
> > > roams too aggressively, even if the currently associated access point
> > > has a very good signal.  We've patched that in Fedora, but as you
> > > indicate, your kernel wifi driver is also not working correctly when
> > > reporting signal strength.
> >
> > Thank you for these details!
> > Do you know if it's possible to configure wpa_supplicant (via NM or not)
> > to be less aggressive but without having to patch it? (or to force it to
> > not switch between access points?).
> >
> > I know that we can force wpa_supplication to try to connect to a
> > specific access point (by using the mac address) but it's not what I
> > want: I don't want to change the settings each time I want to connect to
> > a different access point of this network.
>
> Correct, you want to keep roaming enabled, and that's not possible
> (obviously) when locking to a specific access point.  There a few things
> that will make this better:
>
> 1) Apply the following patch to your wpa_supplicant, which will make the
> problem much better but
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/wpa_supplicant.git/tree/rh837402-less-aggressive-roaming.patch
>
> 2) Apply the following commit to your NetworkManager packages, which
> requests that the supplicant scan for roaming a little less often:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=dd9cf657ef1f9d5909dad2eb697098715325fecf
>
> 3) Wait for some upstream changes to the supplicant, which will include
> *some* form of the above patch, as well as one I posted upstream to
> request the supplicant not to roam as a result of an information-only
> scan that NetworkManager periodically does.

Thank you for these patches, I'll have a look asap! (but I'm not sure
I'll be able to test it soon)

> Obviously all these fixes depend on the kernel driver also reporting the
> signal strength correctly...

Yes...

I'm currently connected to an access point. iwlist gives me a list of 40
access points (each access point has 5 virtual interfaces). All
non-connected access points have a quality of 70/70 and a signal level
of 10 dBm. On the other hand, all 5 virtual interfaces of the current
connected access point have a quality of 58/70 and a signal level of -52
dBm...
So I guess your patch for NM should help me!

Matt