On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 11:59 +0100, Peter Magnusson wrote:
> Im having some problems with permissions on NetworkManager. We are in
> the process of migrating our clients from RHEL 6.6 to RHEL 7.
> The clients connect to our wireless network using eap-tls, we provide
> the configuration,certificate and keys for this from our central
> configurationserver so that the connection is transparent to the user.
>
> In RHEL6.6 the password for the privatekey(pkcs12 used for
> authentication) was not visible to the users only to administrators.
> This was achieved by setting the connection as "system wide" in which
> case the configfile was stored under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> and only accessible by root.
>
> In RHEL7 and NM version 0.9.9.1-28.git20140326.4dba720.el7_0.2 (lbuild
> from git) we can still limit the permissions to NM config using polkit
> but when doing this we also limit the possiblity for the user to add
> new wifi-networks.
>
> So what i would like to achieve is to limit access to existing
> connections (or connections not added by user) but i still want the
> users to be able to add new wificonnections. Is this possible ?

I looked into this yesterday, and I think the way forward here is to
restrict the user's permissions for "modify.system", but allow them
permissions for "modify.own" (own == self, not possession).  This will
prevent the user from being able to change any connection that is
in /etc and does not have specific permissions.  But it allows the user
to create new connections that are restricted to that user only.

There's one catch though; if you're using the GNOME Shell UI on RHEL 7.0
it doesn't set the necessary flags to create these user-specific
connections when the modify.system permission is denied.  We can work on
fixing that though.

Do you think this solution would work for you?

Dan