On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 21:46 +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:

> >> MBIM allows to request IPv4v6 or separate IPv4 and IPv6; currently we
> >> try one or the other, because the ModemManager API allows asking for
> >> both cases. The fact that in QMI we default to separate IPv4 and IPv6
> >> is because we can do so using different WDS clients on the same
> >> control port, but maybe we shouldn't, and instead just expose we
> >> support separate IPv4 and IPv6?
> >
> > Nope.  As discussed recently, we need to be aware of the distintion
> > between IPV4, IPV6 and IPV4V6 on QMI modems as well.  Your first QMI
> > WDS start network command will select one of these types.  The second
> > start network command can only succeed if the selected type was IPV4V6.
> >
> > On the other hand, as Tore points out, there might be situations where
> > you want to select IPV4 or IPV6 explicitly, even if the modem appears to
> > support IPV4V6.
> >
> > So you need the full context type choice for QMI as well.  The odd
> > two-step dual-stack connection does not change this.  The PDP type is
> > always selected by the first connection.
>
> Is that true even if we use different separate WDS clients? If either
> IPv4v6 and IPv4+IPv6 are selected for a QMI modem, MM's logic will
> create separate WDS clients, each of them with a different "Set IP
> Family Preference" set before calling "Start Network". Are we
> achieving something correct with this logic? Or not? And if not, how
> are we supposed to request IPv4v6 using only QMI? (i.e. not with the
> default profile being configured via AT commands).

I verified a while back that this is what Verizon's connection manager
did on Windows with the UML290 to achieve a working dual-stack
connection.  And yes, all 3 PDP contexts in the modem were "IPV4V6".
AFAIK there is no way to get a dual-stack connection without starting
two WDS clients and setting the IP Family Preference.

Dan