On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 12:14 -0500, Jeremy Moles wrote:
> On 01/09/2015 12:01 PM, Jeremy Moles wrote:
> > Hey everyone! I'm not entirely sure where else to ask this, and I'm
> > somewhat desperate at this point having tried everything I'm capable of.
> >
> > We have a machine here with the card listed in the subject. It shows
> > up in lsusb as:
> >
> > 1199:901f Sierra Wireless, Inc.
> >
> > It will work in Linux so far if--and ONLY IF--you boot into Windows
> > first and then soft reboot into Linux. it appears that Windows does
> > something to the modem that Linux (currently) does not, and I was
> > wondering if anyone here had any advice on what I might try.
> >
> > What I've done so far:
> >
> > 1) There is a knob in the sysfs hierarchy for this device that lets me
> > change the "config" (or something like that, I'm actually working on
> > this machine remotely and the customer isn't available right now!)
> > from 1 to 0, or 0 to 1. This ends up being necessary in fact, as after
> > doing so the tty's appear and the device is ready to be perturbed. It
> > responds to ATI commands and whatnot, but again, won't work properly
> > unless booted in Windows first. I should mention I found this knob
> > entirely by accident while hacking on qcserial and trying to accept
> > different "port" numbers as they enumerated themselves...
> >
> > 2) I downloaded the CodeAurora GobiSerial driver (which, according to
> > the changelog has a fix for "powering on" a device) and modified it to
> > work with 3.17 and 3.18 kernels (essentially, this involved
> > re-exporting usb-serial.c symbols like usb_serial_probe the code
> > relied on). However, I haven't had a chance to try this yet, and I'm
> > not entirely convinced (after looking through the code) it really does
> > anything qcserial doesn't.
> >
> > Anyways, if anyone has any advice, please let us know!
> >
> I should also mention I JUST found this thread:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/modemmanager-devel/2014-June/001301.html
>
> Which explains exactly what I was seeing when talking about my #1
> attempt (the config option in sysfs; again, it's miraculously I found
> that at all).
>
> I can't piece together everything the thread is talking about, but it
> may job someone's memory. I can also try e-mailing the author of that
> thread directly.

When it's cold-booted under Linux, can you grab 'lsusb -v -d 1199:901F'?
Also grab 'dmesg' output to see what driver messages there are.  Next,
if you have mbimcli installed, run 'sudo mmcli --firmware-list -m 0' and
lets see what we have.

Next warm-boot from Windows to Linux and run 'sudo mmcli --firmware-list
-m 0' in case the previous one didn't work.

Dan