On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Aleksander Morgado <
aleksan...@aleksander.es> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Aleksander for the reply.
> >
> > A small query, if a modem supports both DirectIP and QMI, which is the
> > recommended mode?
> >

> If I'm not mistaken, Sierra Wireless is suggesting to use QMI or MBIM,
> they are obsoleting Direct IP.

Cool... that's what I am using right now ..

> > AT-command-set is highly modem-specific, while QMI is a
> standard-protocol.
> > So, if there are "n"  modems supporting both DirectIP and QMI, they are
> > guaranteed to expose identical QMI "APIs", while their AT "APIs" could
> > potentially be different.
> >
> > Are my thoughts in line?
>
> Not really. Different QMI modems may also use different versions of
> the protocol; e.g. some newer QMI devices don't support the generic
> DMS commands we use to manage SIM-PIN, and we need to use some new UIM
> service specific commands for that. So the picture is not so clear
> with QMI either.

Ahh ... but I guess QMI-road would lead to convergence, whereas AT-road is
unlikely to.

> If you're happy with the ModemManager interfaces, though, none of this
> should matter to your implementation. ModemManager should provide the
> same functionalities in both Direct IP and QMI modes, at least for the
> subset of features you're looking for (connection, SMS messaging,
> signal quality retrieval).

Awesome !!

Once again, thanks a ton Aleksander and everyone else for all the help
during the last few days !!
I am highly grateful to all of you ..

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay