Dan,
I managed feeding --with-modem-manager-1 option to configuration and now
modem started fine.

What comes to that usb_modeswitch problem: there I were not careful enough.
Both versions of this distribution had same usb_modeswitch version -
identical installation. So, most likely that problem is related to udev
installation that seems to be different.

Thanks a lot of your help
-Matti