Hi,

On Tue, 2016-11-29 at 17:48 +0100, Anders Blomdell wrote:

> > > I have started to look into the config parsing and settings
> > > handling,
> > > is it an intended
> > > behavior that NetworkManager brings up the IPv6/IPv4 that OpenVPN
> > > provides, regardless of
> > > the state of the GUI 'IPv4/IPv6 On/Off' settings?
> >

> > Hi Anders,
> >
> > I would expect, that if the connection has IPvX disabled, that NM
> > doesn't configure any IPvX addresses, regardless of what it
> > received
> > from the server. If that is different, it sounds like a bug.
>
> It enables everything it gets from the server, I also consider it a
> bug,
> hence the question.
>
> > The logic for that is entirely in the server (NMVpnConnection). The
> > plugin collets the data from the environment and sends it back to
> > the
> > server. There, NMVpnConnection merges the event data with other
> > configuration (from NMConnection).
>
> So it's not nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper.c that should check
> On/Off
> (as given by method=disabled (IPv4)/method=ignore (IPv6) in
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/some_vpnconf)?

Correct. Because nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper doesn't even have
the connection to know that the configuration is disabled.

NM spawns nm-openvpn-service and sends it the current NMConnection via
D-Bus. Based on that, nm-openvpn-service spawns openvpn with some
arguments.

Eventually, the openvpn process connects and calls back to nm-openvpn-
service-openvpn-helper. That one gathers information from argv and the
environment variables, and sends the via D-Bus back to nm-openvpn-
service (SetConfig call).
nm-openvpn-service then emits a "Config" signal, which is received by
NetworkManager core... ending up in nm_vpn_connection_config_get().

Then, NM goes through the config that it received and applies it, such
as IP addresses. It especially should thereby also consider the
configuration in the corresponding NMConnection.

Thomas