First a caveat...

My system is an Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop system.

use it for daily management of a 54 device network

of Windows PC's
(10), cameras (9), scales (4), Linux DVR's (2)

 CentOS Pos system and
many other Iot type stuff.

My system functions as the network router,
firewall, Wifi access point

caching dns server, as well as serving all
my admin needs (email, document writing

web research and more). It
supplies the tunnelled components

that are remotely critical to our
operation via ssh tunnels (using autossh for permanence).

This is
where Ubuntu has always shined for me! Ubuntu and NetworkManager have
always

been well up to the task of providing this functionality! So
firstly Thanks for your efforts.

The snag that I continuously run into
when setting up systems like this one is this...

The documentation for
NetworkManager doesn't go into detail about dnsmasq. It's uses

and
configuration, while not under the scope of NetworkManager
documentation, are

critical to the operation of a system like mine. So
why bother you guys?

To get my system and all its quirks configured, I
have to do two things. Wait for NetworkManager to finish

configuration
of the basic interfaces on my machine. Kill the dnsmasq daemon that
NetworkManager leaves

laying around then start my own custom
configuration of dnsmasq.

I don't like killing daemons on any system,
but it is what I have to do. No amount of tinkering has lead me

to any
other solution. Two things play into this, in my mind. First, the simple
fact that I can kill NetworkManager's

dnsmasq daemon (ie
NetworkManager doesn't notice and restart dnsmasq) makes me wonder why
it is started

with the (hard coded???) option --keep-in-foreground
anyway. Second, also apparently hard coded, is the --cache-size=0.

which as I understand it tells dnsmasq not to cache dns requests.

The documentation really falls short here. No mention of dns caching,
no mention of the proper way to use dnsmasq's

many many other talent's
without interrupting/destroying NetworkManager. We all can see that
NetworkManager has

given us some wiggle room in configuring dnsmasq
(ie. /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d) but without anything in the
documentation

about common usage of this we are left to endless hours
of google searching of trial and error scenarios! Minimally something
ought to be said

about the seemingly hard coded options NetworkManager
starts dnsmasq with. Some discussion of NetworkManager design philosophy
would be helpful.

Again, thanks for your time and consideration of
these issues!

Calvin