>> > ping started to work after executing
>>
> > *route add default dev eth0 metric 99*
>> > So, everything is fine!
>>
>> That implies that the default route was not set up correctly
>> beforehand.  What's the output of "ip route" before you add that
>> default route?
>>
> Yes, there was no default route set at all. In fact it should have been
> created by avahi-autoipd.action script command:
>
> ip route add default dev "$2" metric "$METRIC" scope link ||:
>
> Somehow this did not do the trick. I changed that to:
>
> ip route add default dev "$2" metric "$METRIC"||:
>
> Default route was produced after that. I did not check that command
> manually, but I suppose that ip command is coming from busybox and do not
> support ip command properly. It's also possibly that I had ordinary ip
> command installed in that older set-up.

I ran above route add command manually producing following error message:
ip: either "to" is duplicate, or "scope" is garbage

> I found out just before leaving office that connection did not recover
> after unplugging and plugging again. It could come from the fact that I did
> not fix "CONFLICT|UNBIND|STOP" branch of avahi-autoipd.action script that
> seems also having these "scope link" statements. I'll check that tomorrow

Modifications to that branch did not help. Instead I had to track both eth0
to/from "unavailable" events. I had to start avahi-autoipd when exiting
from "unavailable" state and stop it when entering to "unavailable" state.

>> You might try setting the "never-default" option in the VPN
>> connection's config to "true", to indicate that the VPN shouldn't grab
>> the default route
>>

> Do you expect problems with VPN when default route is set? I'll bear this
in mind.

Thanks,
Matti