On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 15:05 +0100, Andrew Zaborowski wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> > Can we make it that IWD or SUPPLICANT can be both enabled
> > (optionally)
> > at configure time, and select the right backend via a configuration
> > like main.wifi=iwd|wpa-supplicant in NetworkManager.conf?
>
> That will probably require moving the wpa_supplicant support to a new
> subclass of NMDeviceWifi so let me try to do that first.  I'll then
> split the patch into pieces and send a new version.

Ah, I see. I didn't think of that.

Maybe it's simpler to have just two indpendent types NMDeviceWifi (for
supplicant) and NMDeviceIwd.

They both can implement the D-Bus interface
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wireless, there is no strong
requirement that they share a common parent class.

I was thinking that "nm-wifi-factory.c"'s create_device() would either
call nm_device_wifi_new() or nm_device_iwd_new(), depending on some
    nm_config_data_get_value (nm_config_get_data_orig (NM_CONFIG_GET),
                              "main",
                              "wifi-backend")

Common code should be shared, but it's not clear that you need a common
parent GObject type for that.

> > Say " (experimental)"?
> > Since the plugin doesn't include any new public API, every
> > misbehavior
> > is just a bug that we can fix later. We don't commit to new API
> > here.
> > So, "experimental" is just cosmetic to set user expectations
> > straight.
>
> Ok, do you prefer that this be enabled by default so that it gets
> build-tested and the iwd backend be guarded by the
> NetworkManager.conf
> setting (also with "experimental" comment)?

I would disable it by default (at least initially).

best,
Thomas