On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 8:56 AM Thomas Haller <thal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-10-26 at 23:16 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 9:29 PM Thomas Haller <thal...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think that "we" (the NetworkManager community) will try to get a
> > > mailman mailing list on freedesktop.org. There is already
> > > modemmanager-de...@lists.freedesktop.org, so this seems a good fit.
> > > Our
> > > git is also on gitlab.freedesktop.org.
> > >

> > That's unfortunate to hear, would you mind elaborating more on what
> > made you decide not to migrate to Discourse?
>
> Just personal preference (of myself and others).
>
> While I wish that mailman would have some improvements, overall it's
> suitable for our needs. It served us well. I probably just don't know
> what I am missing out, but I still don't see it.
>
> NetworkManager historically is both a GNOME and a freedesktop project
> (we use gitlab.freedesktop.org, while applet and VPN plugins are on
> gitlab.gnome.org). Having a freedesktop mailing list would fit the
> project too. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't know where else to
> migrate and would stronger consider discourse.
>

> On a side note, it's not a big problem... But I don't understand the
> urgency of sending an announcment and shutting the list down
> (basically) immediately afterwards. A longer grace period would have
> been better. I was ignorant of these plans. That ignorance is my fault,
> but a simple email to the list would have helped.

The migration to Discourse has been in the discussion for years [1],
further actions were also communicated in August/September [2] and [3].
Either way thanks for your feedback, we'll try to improve the process next
time anything like this happens.

> > > It's also unclear whether we should try to automatically subscribe
> > > the
> > > current list subscribers to the new place. I think we should do
> > > that.
> > >
> > > Opinions?
> > >

> > We can provide you the subscribers list if the decision you want to
> > pursue is subscribing existing list members on the new hosting
> > platform.
>
> that would be great. Thank you. I probably will come back to you about
> this.
>
> As GNOME plans to leave the archive up as read-only, that's sufficient.
> But I am worried that on a few years that will be shut down and the
> history lost. If that ever happens, we should try to archive the
> history somewhere. Would it be possible to get a dump of the entire
> archive?

List archives are mainly composed of HTML files, I don't foresee any
particular reason on why the history of 20+ years of mails stored in a mail
archive would be shut down in the future, please don't worry about that.

[1]
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/common-questions-re-mailman-to-discourse/11841/9
[2]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2022-August/msg00004.html
[3]
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2022-September/msg00018.html

--
Cheers,
Andrea

Principal Systems Engineer at Red Hat,
GNOME Infrastructure Team Coordinator,
Former GNOME Foundation Board of Directors Secretary,

Homepage: https://www.dragonsreach.it