On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> For 2.1 (or 3.0) this nonsense must change.  If I say <Location />
> SetHandler SQLSpace-handler then the entire file-system part of httpd
> needs to just _disappear_.
>
> This requires a number of non-trivial changes:

btw, there are other file-system specific dependencies in
mod_negotiation... there's really two parts of negotiation.  one is the
discovery of what alternatives there are for a document, and the other is
the calculation of what to respond with given the list of alternatives.

it'd be nice if the second part was object-storage independant... but
that'll require a bit of work to do it efficiently -- it's possibly not
efficient to just have the object-store list all the alternatives.

> And the worst change of all, if we are going to allow this shifting
> from filesystem to the URI space, we need the location handler to
> start recongizing that the namespace (filesystem) has mapped a
> /foo///bar/ location to the /foo/bar/ location, and _STOP_ letting
> people walk around such escaped locations.

unfortunately "/foo///bar/" is a different uri from "/foo/bar/", and if
"/foo" is a mount-point for a handler which takes various options in the
form of sub-path components then "///bar/" would have 3 components, 2 of
which are empty.

-dean