"Paul J. Reder" wrote:

> Greg Ames wrote:
> >          It would be great if somebody could beat it up on a live
> > non-FreeBSD system, and tell us what happens.
>
> I'll run it through my battery of abuse tests tonight. If it survives the carnage
> then we'll be in good shape.

After running the threaded mpm through a variety of abuse tests it seems
to be running fine except in two cases.

Startup, SIGWINCH, and normal request processing under a variety of loads
run as expected.

Problem 1:
SIGHUP and SIGTERM take a few seconds to clear out the workers, then takes an
additional 20 to 30 seconds to clear out the server processes. After the 20-30
second delay it does what it is supposed to (restart or shutdown). I am looking
into the reason for the delay. During the 20-30 second delay after the SIGHUP the
server does not serve any pages until it restarts. Once it restarts, it performs
normally.

Problem 2:
The problem related to perform_idle_server_maintenance still exists. This is as
expected since we haven't done anything to fix it yet.

I did experience one anomaly which I cannot reproduce. At one point while
testing SIGHUP and SIGWINCH under mild load I ended up with 1300+ workers
(noticeably higher than the configured 10*32 max). Apache was still spawning
more when I checked and killed it. All of the server processes were owned by
pid=1, all of the workers were owned by their respective server process. The
main Apache process was still intact. There was nothing interesting in the log.
Try as I might I could not get it to happen again, so I must assume it has
something to do with the Indian Burial ground that my house was built on
(**insert suitably spooky music here**).

All in all (except for the delay) threaded mpm works well. Feel free to bang on it.
It should perform well with a suitably high (but not 0) MaxRequestsPerChild setting
(perhaps 50000).

Good luck all.

--
Paul J. Reder