I know this is bordering on a "habit" -- that is, me asking for Linux help -- I have no problems building Win 95/98 systems (and NT to an extent), but this is definitely new territory.  I purchased "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Linux" by QUE books, which comes with Caldera OpenLinux v1.3.  Not impressed at all, and I didn't even try the software!

I have reinstalled Mandrake so many times now it is ridiculous.  Thankfully I am able to still boot my Win98 partition and seek support.

If I am indeed getting redundant, and if someone would be willing to work with me via email, let me know... I would greatly appreciate it -- otherwise I will depend on the good folks in this forum to help me get things up and running.

My main problem (other than suddenly not being able to mount my CDROM and get the RPMs for the kernel to recompile) is not being able to do anything with XFree86/KDE.  I cannot do anything other than 640x480x256 on my Raven Banshee (3Dfx).  Very frustrating having to scroll on the virtual desktop.  I know there is a FAQ on implementing a virtual fb0 framebuffer, but I'm nowhere near Linux mastery to attempt such a thing.

My 'kppp' also does not work on this install... I have setup ppp0 under 'netcfg' with the DNS numbers, and have also configured 'kppp' with the same... but it takes forever to negotiate a connection, which doesn't even work.

Thanks again to all of you that offer your help.  My email addy follows --

Paul Bernicchi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ascend.net/jacuzzi