Jacob H Woodruff wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>         I finally was able to connect to my ISP using a dialup connection
> through Kppp(it took me a while to figure it out), but I am unable to use
> Netscape to access the internet.  Does anyone have any suggestions that
> has had the same type problems.  I think it has something to do with the
> ability to use the DNS server.
>
> Thank you,
> Jacob Woodruff

Sounds like it might be a DNS problem...did you enter your ISP's domain and
nameserver(s) in the kppp setup? Take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf file.
It should have lines that look like:

search            <your isp's domain>
nameserver    <your ISP's primary nameserver>
nameserver    <your ISP's secondary nameserver>

Open a terminal and run tail -f /var/log/messages, run kppp, and check the
output. Are there both local ip address AND remote ip address lines in the
file? If so, and you still can't connect, it's possible that your default
route is already set up, and ppp will NOT reset it. The /var/log/messages
file will then have a line in it advising that it did not reset the default
route. You will still see both the local and remote IP addresses, but you
will not be able to connect to anything. To check this, before you run kppp,
run route del default.
If you successfully connect then, your default route is already set up,
probably for an ethernet card in your machine. You can delete this default
route (assuming it's not needed for other networking) by running linuxconf.

An indispensible site for help setting up ppp is
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html. Good luck, and happy surfing.