Nick Kay wrote:

> might be
> that
> >>>

> >>Ooops. I think you're out of luck here. I get stuttering on my 450mhz
> >>Celeron -
> >>I'm surprised a dx2-66 is able to play *anything* :)
> >>Time for a hardware upgrade - look out for a secondhand p200.
> >
> >Stuttering on your 450 Celery (oops, I mean celeron..) that shouldn't
> >happen, i'm running a 166MX( running at 200 MMX) and I don't have a problem!
> >

> It happens when there's heavy graphics activity such as Netscape scrolling or
> changing to another virtual screen. There was a thread on the Caldera
> list which seemed to be of the opinion that the PCI bus was getting scragged
> if you don't have an AGP card. If I don't do any work then the mp3s
> come out fine. Not a huge worry.

You might consider trying out kmp3.  It uses mpg123 as a backend for mp3
playing and also allows you to use an input buffer so you don't get the
skipping during a heavy load.  I had the same problems with skipping if
I scrolled down a page in Netscape, but don't have any problems now with
an input buffer of around 1M.

I don't have an exact URL for kmp3, but you should be able to find
references to it on http://www.kde.org and http://freshmeat.net.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]