Hello all,

    I think that my X-windows is starting up in 8bit colors.  Is there
anyway to tell what colordepth and resolution is currently being used?  I
want to at least have 16bit colors but am unsure why it won't give me this.
I have tryed changing the resolutions by ctrl alt + and by startx -bpp 16,
but I don't think it changes anything.
Here are the specs on my monitor and video card and video server that I am
using:

Monitor:
    Packard bell 3020
    17 in SVGA Monitor
    Sync: H/V separate(TTL); H/V Composition(TTL); Sync-on Green
    Horiz Scan:    30-69
    Vert. Scan:    50-160
    Resolutions and Refresh rates supported:
            1280 x 1024 at 60Hz; 1024 x 768 at 75Hz; 800 x 600 at 75Hz
            640x 480 at 75Hz

Video Card:
    ATI Xpert98 with the Mach64 chipset and 8MB mem.

Video server:
    Mach64
    No clockchip selected.

Does anyone know if this monitor-card combination has supported color depth
above 8bit, and how I might be able to achieve this (ie what settings to put
for my monitor and card).  It said in the definition of the card that there
was up to 32 bit ability.

Thank you,
Jacob