I wrote:

> 2) How do I go about configuring sound? Do I have to compile that into the kernel
> too...? I have a soundblaster compatible card;

I forgot to mention the following:
i) I have an ESS AudioDrive 1869 soundblaster 16 compatible card;
ii) upon running sndconfig I get the message ``error accessing dev/audio''.

> 3) The CD player (generic 32x IDE device) worked fine during install, but during a
> Linux session I cannot
>  i) manually open and close the CD tray;
>  ii) mount the CD-ROM drive.

Actually I sometimes can mount the CD-ROM drive; but I still cannot manually open and
close the CD tray. It works fine in Windows...

Thanks again
Idris