Jeffrey Chen wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having a strange problem.  When I boot into Linux, I get a
> "CRC Error -- System Halted" error when vmlinuz is being loaded. The
> strange thing is that it only happens sometimes; if I reset the machine
> 2 or 3 times in a roll, the kernel boots just fine.  No error once the
> kernel got rolling, and no problem running anything including the
> beautiful KDE.  I tried using several different kernel and even compiled
> the latest 2.2.3 kernel just to test, but the same phenomenon keep
> happening.  What might be the cause here? Could this be hardware related?
> Here's my setup:
>
> Cyrix P150+
> 128MB RAM
> 1.6 GB IDE HD
> IDE CDROM
> Logitech Mouse
> Matrox Mystique
>
> and I am running Linux Mandrake 5.3 with 2.2.3 kernel.  Please note that
> this happens with the 2.0.36 kernel that came with mandrake as well.  I
> can live with this error but it is annoying as hell.  Any help is greatly
> appreciated!
>
> -JC

Is this booting from a floppy?  Maybe the disk is starting to go bad.

Maybe some flakey memory?  Try switching your SIMMS around and see if it
happens.

Maybe you've got some timings set a little too close in the BIOS?  Try
running it with default settings and see if the problem continues.

It's a pretty strange problem that it doesn't occur everytime you boot,
so it's probably hardware.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]