Quinton Jones Jr wrote:

> Free reports the my Swap is 66492kb, 0 is beinb used. This accounts for
> the slowness and the constent hard disk swapping.
>
> Anybody got a fix for the 0 usage of the swap file?
>
> BTW: Here is the total Free report:
>
>          total      used   free   shared  buffers cached
> Mem:     30796      29408  1388   31940      828  11500
> -/+ buffers/cache: 17080  13716
> Swap:    66492        0    66492

There's not really anything you can do about it not making use of the
swap at any point in time.

>From looking at the information above, the system still has roughly 10M
in available memory (the cached column) that it can make available to
itself for use.  Not much point in going to swapping out to a slow disk
instead of tossing out some of the cached information.

So, as long as the Swap total column shows a size other than 0, you've
got swap space available for the system when it needs it.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]