walker logan hagius wrote:

> First: How do I get KDE to use a Dvorak keyboard layout? It works fine at the
> command prompt before I start X, but not in anything in KDE, including kvt
> windows. I use the Dvorak keyboard almost exclusively and I really can't switch
> to Linux unless I can get it to work all the time. This is one place where Red
> Hat 5.2 is better than Mandrake 5.3--it works in X as well as the command
> prompt.

I don't KNOW if this will work, but try editing /etc/X11/XF86Config and
change the line that reads:

        XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"

to read:

        XbkSymbols      "dvorak"

and see what happens.  It looks to be about the only thing that's
relevant in any of the Xkb stuff.

I don't know if that'll fix it or not.  Particularly, I'm not sure
whether KDE undertakes some keyboard mapping of it's own.  You might try
launching a plain xterm and seeing if your keyboard works correctly
there but not in KDE.

>From reading the X documents that I browsed, it looks like X should be
reading your key mappings directly from the kernel, so if you 'loadkeys
dvorak' (or whatever the name of the map is), then X should be getting
that information.

> Second: How can I get the kfm to work more like the Win9x Explorer? I know that
> may be heresy, but I'm used to some luxuries like being able to hit Win-E to
> open an Explorer window at the root dir (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). I
> would love to be able to do the same sort of thing in KDE. Failing a keyboard

Doesn't look like KDE will let you setup keybindings like that.  Too
bad, really, because I've always found it really useful in other setups.

> shortcut, I would like to be able to put it on the toolbar so one click will
> open a window of the root dir. The other part is that I would like to have the
> tree and long views open by default. I went into the configuration and didn't
> see an obvious way to set that up.

Hmmm... After playing with it for about 15 minutes, I'm really getting
the impression that KDE sucks alot more than I'd ever imagined.  I had
tried to put another copy of 'Home Directory' onto the panel, then
modify the execute string to use the root directory instead of my home
directory.  It looks like kfm wants to be able to put some files into
the directory and since I don't have permissions to do that, it fails.

Yuck.

As for the Long view, select it off the View menu.  Goto the Options
menu and select 'Configure File Manager', then select the 'Other' tab.
Put a checkmark into the 'Tree view follows navigation' and Apply and OK
it.  The view in the file manager should now be the long view.  Now go
back into Options and select 'Save Settings'.  Close the file manager,
open it back up, and everything should be in long view still.

> Third: How do I copy/cut and paste between apps? I have been mostly using KDE
> apps for everything because open windows are saved between sessions, even after
> a rare crash (I LOVE that!!!) but sometimes I want to use Netscape and I want to
> copy a URL from the KDE browser to Netscape. I copy it, and it shows up on the
> clipboard list but it won't paste into Netscape (and possibly any non-KDE app,
> I'm not sure). Is there a common clipboard like there is in Windows? If not, I
> can work around it but it would really be unfortunate...! Linux, X, and KDE are
> better in so many ways I'd hate to see them beat in something like clipboard
> functionality.

Select the text with the first mouse button, paste it with the middle
button.  Should work.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]