Joesph,

I'm going to send this to the list so that others will know how to do
it also.

These directions are for PMv4.0 and a dual boot system with Mandrake
being on a hd all by it's lonely.

from Win9x, partition your second hard drive manually using PM with
linux ext2 as you can only make 4 primary partitions in linux i
recommend that you make 1-primary for */*, 1 for swap, then make an
extended partion with logical partions inside for /usr,
/usr/local, etc.

then accept what you've done let make partition magic do it's thing.
shut down your machine then boot with either cdrom or boot disk.
let mandrake go thru till you get the choice of fdisk or dd,choose dd
then on your second hd you will already have the partitions, ie
hdb1,hdb2,etc.. highlight the drive ( hdb*), tab to you get to the
little box that says edit, hit enter, then label the partitions ie.
/, /usr, etc.

when your done with that i think the button says done and then your
on your merry way to the rest of the install.

now if i remember correctly if you only have one hd, still use
partition magic to make your linux partitions but it gets a little
more complicated <g>. if you use the boot manager that came with
partition magic, ( in v3 it's called boot manager ( actually ibm os/2
bootmgr) in v4you have to install boot magic) then add the
firstpartiton to the boot mgr for dual boot.

also when asked where to install lilo, use the second option, the one
other then the mbr.

sorry for the length and any typos, haven't had my coffee yet

denise