On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 07:04:12AM -0500, Lloyd wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 07:36:06PM +0200, Jean-Paul Koziol wrote:
> > > I have recompiled 2.2.6 per the Redhat how -to but when I run
> > > mkinitrd
> > > /boot/initrd-2.2.6.img  2.2.6 I get the following:
> > >  mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device
> > >         (maybe "insmod driver" ? )Can't get a loopback device
> > >
> > > any help for it
> >
> > Did you enable loopback support in the kernel compilation?  That would cause
> > the problem.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Philp
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> what IS the loopback device and what does it do?

It allows you to mount a file as a filesystem.  Weird concept, I know, but
it is pretty useful.

Imagine that you're creating a CD that you want to eventually burn on the
physical media.  You create a 650M file on your hard drive, mount it with
the loopback driver as an ISO9660 filesystem.  You can move files in and out
of the filesystem and when you're done playing, you have an image that you
can burn directly to the CD media.

I'd imagine that's probably how Mandrake does their .iso images.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]