On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 04:44:12PM -0400, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> I hope two questions in one message doesn't put me over my limit ;o).  I have
> successfully downloaded and installed WP 8.0.  I had thought that the printer
> I have installed (Deskjet 695c -- passed the Postscript test in printtool)
> would be recognized.  Guess not ;-(
> When I go to Printer setup, I'm not sure what to put in the box "Path for
> downloadable fonts".  Does anything need to go there??  How about in the box
> "Destination"  The printer is hooked to my parallel port, I think it's called
> lp1 (I put dev/lp1 in the box -- doesn't work).  Any help would be appreciated
> as WP is not much use w/o being able to print.  I'm using a standard
> installation Mandrake 5.3.

You have a couple options on this.  First, you could visit the WordPerfect
site and see if they have any printer drivers for your specific printer.
I've found (and I have to admit this was with an old Epson dot-matrix) that
the WP drivers worked better than the second option when I tried them.

If they don't have specific drivers for your printer, you'll need to
configure a printer in WordPerfect called "Passthrough Postscript".  This
will create a postscript file out of your document, then pass it to lpd to
filter and print.  Once you've got that printer available, you want to set
the destination for that printer to "lp".  That'll send it on to the lpd on
your system (and that should work fine since your PostScript test worked
earlier).

The difference I saw between the two drivers is probably largely negated by
printers that are more modern than the 24-pin dot matrix printer I was
working with.  I've been extremely pleased with both the native WP driver
and lpd for output on my HP LaserJet 6L.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]