One way to do this:
Run KDEAppFinder so that KDE finds the Adobe Reader. Then add the Adobe Reader to
the Panel. Click with the right mouse button on the panel button for Adobe, then
click "Properties". Go to the execute tab, where you can now add the pdf-type
from the right column to the left column. If you like, click on the icon so that
you can also change the default icon to, say, the Acrobat symbol. Click "OK".
When opening a pdf file from kfm, you can now click the right button to choose
whether you want Kghostview or Adobe to open it. To make kfm automatically select
the reader, you may have to follow the same procedure with kghostview, only
deselct the pdf-type from the right column in the "execute" tab of "properties".
Then you can delete either from the panel if you like. I am sure that there is an
easier/better way but this will work.

Interestingly, when I installed the latest beta of Adobe Reader for Linux, the
installation script automatically associated *.pdf files with the reader.

Best
Idris