My SiS6326 AGP was a problem because X was black and only the icons
was visible
 Try to find newbie-digest the 3-4 old number to view all discussions.
 The solution at my home was:

  add the lines at /etc/X11/XF86Config in section device:

  Options "nolinear" or "no_linear" I don't remember
  Options "sw_cursor"

  This implies that you can use only 8 bpp colors
  Somebody resolve the problems using 24 bpp and low dot clocks
  Other resolve adding "no_btlbit" e "no_btlimage" with all colors you
want
  Probably you have to try "noaccel" too.

  Use this command 'find / -iname readme.sis' and read the file
istructions
  Probably you need 'man XF86Config' too.

 Good work and feedback as if you found a solution.