Philip W. Huff[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] said:

>I've recently installed Linux Mandrake for the very first time.
>I've never seen the OS in person.  I started the desktop, but
>all the elements are EXTREMELY large.  So large, that I can't
>even see all of the listings in some of the menus.  I've
>configured the video card and the monitor settings to just
>about every monitor that I can think of, including custom
>settings, and this does nothing to change my situation.  Any
>suggestions besides buying a new monitor?  I have a Compaq
>Presario 1725 monitor and a Trident Video card.

I had exactly this same problem using a Trident 9680 video card.

X Window is running at 320x240 resolution, looking quite strange indeed.

What causes it, is that the Red Hat XConfigurator program (which is run
during the Mandrake install) is not up-to-date with the latest video card
database.

Run XF86Setup (outside of X) to fix this.  It should identify your Trident
card properly and set the recommended optimizations.

Richard