I guess its time to tackle my first problem.   I have to boot from a floppy.
I used a separate, spare HDD to load with Linux Mandrake 5.3.   I created
the boot floppy at install time.   I think I am running into the 1024
Cylinder problem.   On this 540+MB HD   I made one big partition, about 490
MB and a swap of 50MB.   I think the trouble is that the end of the
partition goes to cylinder 1040 or something, there are a total of 1057
Cylinders present.   Surely Linux resides within the first 1024 of that
partition.  Any ideas or better interpretation of the How To will be
appreciated.

Rip
"A mind is a terrible thing."