To find info on your motherboard look for screen printed ID numbers on the
board.  It may say    430 TX ver. 2.3       or some other such string of
characters.   Write this down, then look at the chips (black and square) on
the motherboard.  One of them should have the SiS 55xx identifier.  Write
down exactly what you have, then look at the other chips (the two largest
ones besides the CPU).   Write down the largest numbers from these two.
Then you can go to www.motherboards.org  or it may be www.motherboard.org
and you will have to look around a bit, but this is a good resource to learn
about motherboards.   He links to all motherbrd mfgr. sites.   I think he
has a table of info like the code printed on the board you can use to
identify the mfgr.   Once you know who made it you can go to their site and
get the instruction/spec manual or update the BIOS or whatever.

The other thing to know is that there is a separate module for SiS 55xx
video you must load when installing your OS (even Windows has this problem).
Can someone help me out with the name?  You might look at some of the Linux
sites or newsgroups and search on the video chipset number once you get
that.   I have read about ten msgs on alt.os.linux.mandrake and
comp.os.linux.setup .  They did't apply to me so I skipped over them.  It
did register with me though cause I read so much and remember a lot of it.

If you need more help write back and I'll help with the research end of it
once you get those numbers.
Rip
"A mind is a terrible thing."