Pliler Main Unit wrote:

> HI,
> Here is brief desc of my problem the past 3 days or so.
> I installed 5.3 a week ago today, at that time I did not
> have nor configure a modem during setup.
> I now have an external serial port (com2) modem, and
> can't get it to be recognized in spite on DAN, and GILBERT'S
> very much appreciated suggestions.
> MY question now, is can I re- installl over the old installation
> and have during set up the modem configured?
> Thanks,

A few debugging suggestions:

1)  Check to see if the comport that the external modem is attached to
is recognized at boottime.  Use dmesg to see the boot messages.

2)  Check that the IRQ and IO settings are correct for the comport.
setserial should be able to provide this information.

3)  Check that /dev/modem is linked to the correct comport.  Remember
that you need to subtract 1 from the COM number to get ttyS numbers (ie
COM1 = ttyS0, COM2 = ttyS1).

Let me know if any of these hunt out the problem.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]