Well I installed the new version of initscripts and modutils. Now when I
boot into the new kernel it fails once it hits the sound config It gives me
errors on sound and also on midi..

it says something to the effect of an symlink error in
/lib/modules/2.2.9/misc/

or something to that effect of the dir.

I do not want midi compiled into the kernel as I do not use any midi
devices. I have tried to find the reference to the midi in the #make
menuconfig and can not find it.

Also I noticed in my conf.modules file it references a SoundBlaster
compatible card, When I goto choose a SBcompatible card in the config of
the modules I do not see the choices for it. Where is that at.

Last but not least is there a way to see which IRQs' are being used on the
system in Linux. In the 2.0.36 kernel it says I have a possible IRQ
conflict on IRQ3 and also IRQ5 this is for the sound card I think.

Please let me know

James