On Tue, 25 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm new at using mandrake linux.  I've been trying to figure out how
> to get a program to start when the computer starts up.  In DOS, this
> can be done in the autoexec.bat program.  Is there a similar startup
> file in linux?  What would be the syntax to use when starting a
> program this way?

There are various ones.

If you really mean startup, you'll probably want to add the program to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.
If you mean after login (i.e. after you've typed the password), you'll
want to add it to ~/.bashrc (just for you), /etc/profile (for all users)
or /etc/bashrc (for all users using bash).

There are several other ways, but I think these are the easiest to handle
for a beginner.

LLaP
bero