When using Mandrake 5.2, I had no problem accessing my windows98 vfat partition and copying files over to Linux.  I was thrilled with the improvements to Mandrake 6.0, until I tried to transfer files from win98.  I mounted the vfat directory as follows:

  mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /win

When I move the files over, Mandrake will lock up.  When I restart the computer, key files fail to load, and I have to reinstall mandrake 6.0.  Using "control-alt-backspace" unlocks kde, but all the desktop icons disappear, and none of the controls will work, except for shutdown.  My computer is an Emachine 333c, with 32 megs ram.  It works fine with Mandrake 5.2, and it works fine with RedHat 6.0.  I really prefer Mandrake 6.0, but I can't use it if it continues to behave this way.  What can I do to solve this problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.